The Church Notre-Dame de l'Assomption
Fabulous baroque decor. The Church Notre Dame de l'Assomption was built between 1781 and 1787. Its bold but even silhouette is refined by the bulb-shaped steeple and its ornamental twin openings resting on small columns.
The destructive fire of 1973 saw the intervention of the Historic Monuments association which classed the building in 1974 and financed its reconstruction.
The bell was recovered in rolled steel (painted when hot) in order to imitate the rust of tin plate circa 1816.
The sober exterior gives no indication of the superb baroque decoration which aimed at surprising and dazzling the onlooker. This was achieved by the effect of light and movement. The furniture, paintings and architecture needed to arouse a strong feeling of beauty while suggesting that this terrestrial beauty was merely an illusion next to the real beauty of the divine world.
The gilt, gold leaf, wooden sculptures or polychrome finish, nothing was too good in the effort to assert their faith. For the sky they borrowed azure, for purple they took blood red and to give light they used the colour gold? The paintings and statues of the church tell the history of Christianity and allow us to momentarily relive the past, in particular, that of the Virgin Mary.
Take a guided visit of the church by calling the Cordon Tourist Office on 04 50 58 01 57.